Summer will soon be upon us and we’ll be looking for ways to beat the heat. It’s also prime time for energy bills to go up, and many homeowners are looking for ways to save money on air conditioning. We’ve put together some tips to help you enjoy comfortable indoor temperatures in your home, while keeping costs down.
Save Money on Air Conditioning this Summer
- A dirty air filter means your air conditioner will run less efficiently and make it use more energy in the process. Check your system’s air conditioner on a monthly basis and change it every three months.
- Use a programmable thermostat during the day to turn up your air conditioner a few degrees when you and your family are away at work or other activities. Set it to turn the temperature down shortly before the first person is due to arrive home so that the interior temperature will be comfortable when he or she arrives.
- Turn up the temperature on your air conditioner so that it is running less when the family is asleep. You don’t need the same level of cooling as when you are awake, and you won’t notice if your home is a few degrees warmer. This strategy will help you save on your energy costs, though.
- Close off the vents in your basement. This is the coolest part in your home, and the cool air will naturally fall to that part of your home. If you close the vents, you will force the air up to the top part of your house first, and it will cool your home as it comes down.
- Rearrange your furniture to ensure that it doesn’t obstruct any of your air conditioning cooling vents. Make sure you don’t have your couch placed over top of a vent or that the back of the chair is right up against another one if you want to get all the benefit from your air conditioning system this summer.
George Kent Home Improvements will ensure that your air conditioner is running at peak levels this summer Contact us if you would like to book an appointment for a maintenance inspection or if you need prompt, reliable service.