Most Canadians think of their homes as their safe havens. Unfortunately, there are still some threats inside your house that you have to worry about, too. In fact, safety hazards around the house can be held accountable for majority of the trips made to the hospital.
There are some things that you can do to make your household safer. Before you can take any of the steps though, it is important that you know what you should be looking for.
Here are some of the most common hazards at home and how you can deal with them:
- Electrical fires are to blame for hundreds of deaths, as well as millions of property damages every single year. Electrical fires at home are usually caused by outdated wiring, faulty outlets, and even old and malfunctioning appliances. Avoid fires by replacing faulty electrical elements, including appliances and outlets. If possible, update your electrical system to one that can handle the increase in the level of required electricity in most modern homes.
- The air inside your home can be just as polluted as the one you breathe in outside your property. You can improve the quality of your indoor air and reduce the possibility of asthma and allergies by making sure that rooms are well-ventilated by having enough windows in your home. If you think some areas in your house are needing additional windows or you need your old ones replaced, George Kent Home Improvements has an array of choices for you. Making sure that your AC system is working well is also important.
- If your home is built before 1980, chances are, it’s been covered with hazardous lead paint. There are a lot of health dangers that are associated with lead like headaches, memory loss, high blood pressure, and more. It is best to have your home tested for lead presence and remove it if results are positive.
- Flood or any water damage for that matter, is among the most dreaded hazards for most homeowners. It happens because of reasons like storm damages, roof problems, some broken or leaky pipes, and even being located in very low lying areas. While the weather and your home’s location cannot be helped, you can minimize the possibility of flood due to leaks by being on top of your plumbing maintenance and making sure you have the best roofing. George Kent Home Improvements can provide you with the best products in the industry. Our men can install them to ensure your family’s safety.
- Mould buildup can also cause health problems when spores are ingested. Mold exposure has also been linked to respiratory and immune system complications. Have mould removed as soon as it is detected.
Keeping your home safe should be at the top of your priorities. But you do not need to handle it all by yourself. If you have some home improvements in mind, do give us a call and we’ll see how we can be of help to you.